Monday, March 26, 2012

Triathlon Season is in the air

It seems as if social media is slowly filling up with triathlon races, everybody is registering, watching or participating on a race sometime soon. I like to think of it as the ‘unofficial’ start to the triathlon season, I have not toed the start line yet but I am getting eager to do so, especially after this weekend.

Not only there were a handful of tris in FL with some GA representation but the IM season has officially started with IM Melbourne. I am not sure why did on Saturday evening but after a full day of activities I sat in front of the computer and soaked in as much IM coverage as I could, around 9:30 my eyes started to close which was around the time the girls started the run, stayed awake as long as I could but the need of sleep won and had to call it a night. Sunday morning I woke up and ran downstairs to check IM online to read how the race unfolded.
Four weeks from my 2012 debut I find myself day dreaming about race day and crossing the finish line in NOLA 70.3. Training has picked up these past couple of weeks and I still have two more weeks before things start to settle down, right now I am at a point where I just want race day to be here.
As I mentioned on my last post I was feeling a bit off in the water lately, and although I have only been twice at masters I decided to increase my swim sessions to three until things get back to normal. I don’t know if is the excitement of approaching race day or the tips Maria gave me the first day at the pool. After 20 years it was nice to get some feedback on my stroke, it just brought some memories back. What I know is that I am starting to feel more comfortable in the water and I can only imagine this will get better by the time we reach New Orleans city limit.
Swimming is always more fun w a group
My bike fitness is always a mystery before the start of the season, I have no idea what to expect. Last year I made some good improvements on the bike and since I trust my coach 100% I can only imagine all those hours on the trainer are about to pay off. Since this was one of my issues last year (pushing too hard on the bike when it came to HIM distance) I am just hoping for a more comfortable ride and be able to get off of it with some energy left to be able to put a solid run.
My runs are feeling pretty good, not having a running background it always amazes me how one day I feel awesome and the next one not so good. Luckily the days that have not been so good are my recovery days, and so far I have been able to put some good long runs in. Me and the track is a whole different story, we have a love hate relationship. I know is a necessary evil, but somehow I always get a pinch in my stomach at least two days before speed work. This week was no different, but fortunately for me the session went MUCH better than last week, I know is just a matter of putting more time on the ‘lanes’ before I start seeing major improvements, but I will take small victories for now.
So things are progressing nicely, four weeks before race day I am only 2lbs over my race weight so I know that is not something I am going to have to worry about, which is nice because there is nothing more stressful than having a bucket list the week before your race.
In other news, my mother in law is coming in town for two weeks. The kids are thrilled and so is mommy, timing for her is probably not ideal since Sami is putting his IM hours and I am on the last two hard weeks of my block which means there won’t be many late nights at the Brahims but we’ve planned a couple of fun outings while she is here and I am sure we will all have a good time even if those are in the middle of the day J.
The kids w the Gi
And just in case I am not back for a while Happy Easter and Happy Training!!

No comments:

Post a Comment